I was asked on Instagram how I choose my statement bags. There are a few tips//secrets to my handbag collection.
- It is always evolving. The collection grows and shrinks with my mood. I went through an all Louis Vuitton phase, Saint Laurent phase, Birkin phase and I am currently in a Gucci phase.
- I never get emotionally attached. For trendy bags I know I won’t keep them forever. There are only three bags that are older than 10 years old. (There would be another but TSA helped themselves to a bag from my luggage a few years back!)
- I sell the bags I am no longer using. If it is over a year and hasn’t been in the recent rotation I let it go via The Real Real or Fashionphile. I get new bags from both spots too.
- Don’t get a bag just because everyone else is wearing it. I find that when I do that I never wear it and the resell value is pathetic.
- I never buy on impulse. Every bag in my collection is something I thought about and really debated if it went with my wardrobe.
- For your first few bags go with classics. They are easier to incorporate and go with everything.