I didn’t expect to have a C section. It was my one and only request for my birth– No C sections! So I never researched or prepared for having one. Three days later I am home and suffering all kinds of weird side effects with no clue what to do. While most of my side effects– swelling, hives — don’t happen to everyone the pain and lack of mobility does. Here are my top 5 C section must haves that helped me during the recovery stage.
C Section Must Haves:
- HALO® Bassinest™ swivel sleeper Premiere c/o– I can’t say enough how helpful this has been the last 8 weeks. Everything hurt for me when I would stand, sit up, sit down or basically move! I know that isn’t the case for everyone who has a C section but because I had a ton of swelling ( my legs doubled in size!) I was in a lot of pain. The HALO pulled right up to my side of the bed making it easier to nurse, soothing and check on Olivia right from bed. I didn’t have to get up. When I did the bassinet swivels so I could easily get out of bed without having to move it. It is super sturdy and more than once I had to use it to catch my balance. For me, the see-through sides and collapsible wall were really handy for checking on the baby while she slept. I choose the premiere edition for the soothing music, vibration and nursing timing features. The first 3 weeks would have been miserable without this item from my C section must haves list!
2. Miracle Milkookies – They told me in the hospital to expect milk delays because of the C section. I was lucky and milk came in right away but it didn’t increase in volume. Olivia was struggling to put on weight and I was frustrated trying to produce more milk. I found these cookies and they actually worked! Olivia put on weight at her appoint two days after I received my first order. They taste great too; like a regular chocolate chip cookie. I tried another bar out which worked great but I had trouble with the flavor. The cookies come baked and shipped right to your door. I order two weeks at a time to save on shipping.
3. C Panty – At the hospital, they gave me a stomach binder but it was so hard to get on and off myself. Without the help of nurses, I knew I needed to find an alternative. These panties keep just enough pressure on the incision to relieve some of the pain and pressure. I bought the high waisted version but I wish I bought the classic. These are expensive but SO worth it.
4. A pump kit – I received the Philips Thermal Gel Pads and Medela handpump as a gift. Who knew they would be so important! The gel pads can be used hot or cold and they really help with all things breastfeeding. The even clip on to while you pump to help increase milk supply. The handpump was great the first few weeks while I stayed in bed a lot. It was easier to use than the electric pump they gave me in the hospital and for some reason, I get twice as much milk with the handpump.
5. Owlet Smart c/o – I tried everything I could to not move much the first week but I was so paranoid about the baby. The Owlet sock helped ease my paranoia so that I could get a bit more rest. It sends stats directly to my phone so I know Olivia is sleeping soundly. Check out my full review on the Owlet.
Bonus C section must haves: Uber EATS – This is so spoiled but I just didn’t want to cook those few weeks. I was tired from pumping every two hours even at night and my body felt exhausted. So thankful that we have this in our area now. I would get a chipotle brown rice bowl almost every day to help increase milk supply. Again, I know super spoiled. If you have a friend or family member who will come cook for you say YES! I couldn’t eat much those first few weeks but I really needed the fuel to charge up my body.
SO EXCITED to also GIFT one lucky winner this full set up of 1 HALO Bassinest Premiere Series + SleepSack Swaddle! To enter just make sure you are following me @doranpoma AND @HALOSleep on Instagram. PLUS leave a comment on this pic telling us why you are excited to try out the Bassinest! Be sure to tag @HALOSleep in your comment so they can see it. The contest is open to US entries only and must be 18 or older to win. Enter by July 19th at 1pm Pacific. Winner will be announce July 20th. Sponsored by HALO.
All items marked c/o were gifted to me for review purposes. All opinions are my own.