With things not quite normal this year we decided to celebrate Father’s Day in the backyard with a nice lunch. This cheesy hamburger sliders recipe is perfect for Father’s Day served with some homemade fries and slaw. I make a version of this about once a week during the summer. You can totally make it your own by switching up the sides and spices. This version is a fave!
Cheesy Hamburger Sliders
What you need:
- 1 package of dinner rolls I almost always use Hawaiian King Rolls but when I have time and energy I totally make these from scratch. They are fairly easy to make.
- Half an onion rough diced I like them a bit chunky for more flavor.
- 1 pound of ground beef About a month ago I discovered BIG SUR BOVINE GRASS-FED. The cattle are raised right here in Big Sur in some of the prettiest real estate in the world! They have USDA certification and generations of cattle raising knowledge under their belts. Check them out on Insta! With meat prices going crazy and availability becoming tougher I recommend going in with a few friends and buy 1/2 a cow. We set up our garage freeze for storage to make it easier!
- 3 cups of shredded sharp cheddar
- 1 tbs melted butter
- 5 tbs mayonnaise
- sesame seeds
- spice mix– For this one, I used a blend of cumin, cinnamon, paprika, salt, pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder. I mix a bunch of this and then save it in a shaker.
- 1 potato sliced into fries and soaked in cold water
- half a head of cabbage or 1 bag of cabbage mix
- 1 carrot shredded
- 2 tbs honey
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon celery salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
What to do:
Preheat oven to 350. Dry potatoes REALLY WELL! Toss potatoes in 2 tbs oil, 1 tbs spice mix, and spread onto a parchment-lined baking sheet. Pop in the oven on the top rack. Bake for about 20-25 minutes. I take them out at the same time as the sliders and they are the perfect texture.
Prep coleslaw. Mix vinegar, 3 tbs mayonnaise, honey, dry mustard, celery salt, and black pepper. Add in cabbage and shredded carrot. Set Aside.
Mix 2 tbs of the spice mix into the meat and set aside. Butter a baking dish and set aside. Heat 1 tbs of oil in a pan. Add onions to oil and stir until soft and fragrant. Add the meat to onions and cook thoroughly.
While the meat cooks cut the sheet of dinner rolls in half. Place bottom half of rolls into buttered baking dish. Set aside. Remove meat from heat and drain grease. Set aside. Stir in remaining mayonnaise, 2 cups of cheddar, salt, and pepper to taste. Sprinkle half of the remaining cheese on top of the cut dinner rolls, then top it with the cooked meat mix, then another round of cheese. Finish with the top of the rolls. Butter the rolls and sprinkle the sesame seeds on top. Bake for 5-10 minutes or until rolls are toasty and cheese is totally melted.
I like to layer the coleslaw on the slider and serve with a bit more on the side! This is a family favorite all summer long and perfect for a casual Father’s Day at home!
Let me know if you try it out and pop over to Instagram to check out Big Sur Bovine!
Have you made hamburger sliders before? Let me know in a comment below!