How To Create A Skincare Routine
Do you keep to the same routine every morning & night? Do you know what a good skincare routine consists of? Have you ever wondered if you were applying your skincare products in the right order? I put together this very basic guide to creating a skincare routine.
Always remember to apply thinnest to thickest when applying products.
Here is a little cheat sheet.
What Order To Apply Your Skincare Routine
1) Cleansing always comes first. I prefer cream or sorbet cleansers they are much gentler on the skin and don’t strip it of its own protective barrier. For oily skin, a foaming cleanser works great to help eliminate the impurities and excess oil.
For PM a double cleanse is best. Start with a cleansing balm or cleansing oil to remove dirt, oil, makeup, and SPF. Then a water-based cleanser like this La Roche-Posay Toleriane Hydrating Gentle Cleanser.
Remove both with a warm wet washcloth.
2) Tone and Mist second. Not much to say here I like the Zelens Resurfacing Facial pads or this Pixi Glow Tonic paired with these reusable cotton pads. For mist/hydrating toners/essence I spray directly on the skin (avoiding the eyes) and then pat in. Don’t waste cotton. If you notice makeup still coming off when you mist onto cotton then you didn’t clean your skin all the way in step 1! This Firming Facial mist by Luzern is hydrating and complexion boosting.
3) The next step for either day or night would be a serum. I love a great vitamin C serum. Nothing promotes healthier skin than Vitamin C it penetrates deeper into the skin and allows vital nutrients to nourish the skin. I have tried several from Jan Marini Cesta, Tu’el Crystal C–now called Power C, and Le mieux C booster, and this SkinCeuticals C E Ferulic with 15% L-Ascorbic Acid Vitamin C Serum and have never had a problem with any of them.
Vitamin C serum is wonderful because it is one of the best antioxidants to fight free radical damage, it helps tone, lift, and plump fine lines & wrinkles. Serums should be used before your day or night cream. For nights I like to use a Vitamin A serum like this one by SkinMedica Retinol Complex 1.0 or a peptide serum like this one by 111Skin
4) Moisturize! I like to pick one cream that I can use day or night and that works well on the neck & chest! This one by Jan Marini is amazing for combo skin. This BABOR CALMING RX Soothing Cream Rich is good for sensitive or dry skin.
5) SPF!!!!! I apply a 30+ SPF every morning after my moisturizer from my forehead down to just about my breasts. Don’t forget the ears and back of the neck. This Beauty by Joseon SPF is hard to find but the BEST. No white cast, no stinging, and plays well with makeup.
See more tips on creating a skincare routine here + other skincare finds.
And if you are enjoying this post the best thing you can do to support me is by sharing this edition with a friend who might enjoy it too. Or sign up for our newsletter for a weekly update + exclusive features. Looking for more shop/Monterey news I have a separate newsletter for that. Sign up here.
Shop More Beauty Finds Below
The following content may contain affiliate links. When you click and shop the links, we receive a commission.