Tip: How to Fake a Bake And Get The Best Self Tan
When summer approaches, many people turn to indoor tanning to keep their skin golden. With all the studies out today on the damage from tanning beds, I recommend a safe alternative, a fake bake–or self-tan. I know that is easier said than done! Some formulas leave the skin orange or too tan or steaky. Read on for my tips on how to get the best self tan from the comfort of your own home.
How to Get the Best Self Tan
- Buff – Loofah gloves are the best and super cheap. ($1 a pair at most stores) Lather up with a nice cleansing gel and buff away dead dry skin. I like a cleanser with a little AHA’s in them like Sonya Dakar’s Daily wash in CARA CARA or Jan Marini BioGlycolic Body Wash with Glycolic Acid.
- Prime the skin with a light moisturizer, paying extra attention to the knees, elbows, back of arms, and achilles. Allow it to set in for about 10 minutes before moving on to step 3. This Eminence coconut lotion works great.
- Tint… now you’re ready to start adding the color. Use GLOVES or a tanning mitt like this! Apply in circular motions to keep coverage even.
- To reach your back put lotion on a 3-foot strip of plastic wrap or this tanning applicator and sweep back and forth like a towel.
- Start with a light tint and work up to a darker look. Layers are key! I love this self-tanner by Organic Pharmacy.
- Don’t forget to keep your skin moisturized to keep the look fresh longer and re-apply weekly.
- And don’t leave off the SPF just because the sun is not out or because you are “tanner”. The more damaging UVA rays may not be responsible for burns but are the cause of wrinkles, premature skin aging, DNA damage, and skin cancer! Yikes!
More on Sunscreens…
Read your SPF labels to make sure that they cover UVA and UVB rays. UVB is the cause of 95% of all skin cancer according to a study done by Frederick Urback, MD of Temple University.
A great sunscreen is Colorescience brush-on minerals. It comes in two tints or clear and has an SPF of 30 or 50 and is very water-resistant. Another great one is Jan Marini‘s Antioxidant Daily Face Protectant—with PhytoMelanin™, SPF 30, and very water-resistant. It protects and is anti-aging! Who doesn’t want that?
So HAUTE Skin lovers… What is your favorite Fake Bake move?
See more skin care finds here.
And if you are enjoying this post the best thing you can do to support me is by sharing this edition with a friend who might enjoy it too. Or sign up for our newsletter for a weekly update + exclusive features. Looking for more shop/Monterey news I have a separate newsletter for that. Sign up here.
Shop The Latest Finds Now
The following content may contain affiliate links. When you click and shop the links, we receive a commission.